Rezoning Application for 1956 – 1990 Stainsbury Avenue PUBLIC HEARING:
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 6 pm
City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue
Third Floor, Council Chamber
Submit your comments to City Hall by email to email@example.com
Following is the link to the rezoning: https://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applications/1956-1990Stainsbury/index.htm
Cedar Cottage Area Neighbours (CCAN) registers its opposition to this rezoning project.
Through our experience in dealing with three large rental projects over the last five years in our neighbourhood, at Knight and 15th, Commercial Dr and 18th, and on Hull St at Victoria Dr, we realize, sadly, that this rezoning is already a done deal. So, asking for our input is really tokenism.
Following are some issues with this current Stainsbury project
· the building height is overbearing to the houses next to it; 18 m (59.2 feet) tall is equivalent to a 6 storey building
· the density doesn’t conform to 1.5 FSR in the Stainsbury triangle as on the North side so why allow 2.59 FSR on the South side in an RS 1 zone (small detached homes area)
· there is a lack of parking, 80 units and 34 parking spaces – this area is already overcrowded with street parking
· there is not enough ground level green space available to the public view, all setbacks are not large enough
· the construction itself may well destroy the foundations and create a water damming effect on surrounding properties as happened with the project at Commercial Dr and E 18th; with no help from City building inspector as it becomes a P. ENG problem — private litigation
· the schools in the area are overcrowded
· the community centre is too crowded; no space for little kids
· the large mature trees will be destroyed; we consider trees part of our heritage and a community amenity
· there is too much traffic in the area now because of new developments
· Cedar Cottage has been overburdened with this type of building that does not provide adequate parking. There have already been 3 projects of this type in this immediate neighbourhood approved in the last 5 years, this will be the 4th. The policy, for rentals with reduced parking and overbearingly tall, was supposed to limit projects to a minimum of ten blocks apart so the neighbourhood would not be unduly disrupted and to maintain neighbourhood character. That’s gone out the window.
· the rental building at Knight and 15th is on AirBNB; this project may end up on AirBNB too
· the Knight and 15th rental building has had a FOR RENT sign posted outside ever since it was built two years ago
· there was inadequate to no consultation with the neighbourhoods across Vancouver to allow such zoning changes in RS zones —- THIS IS ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOUR BY THE CITY PLANNING DEPARTMENT!!!! People buy into a neighbourhood expecting certain building attributes.
· there is yet another one of these 6 storey projects being proposed at 1405 East 15th and 3047-3071 Madams St
· spread these types of buildings across Vancouver if you must have them; STOP dumping them in Cedar Cottage
· this type of project takes years to construct, that is years of noise and dust and disruption
To speak to Council, please register individually up to 5 pm on the day of the Public Hearing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 604-829-4238. You may also register in person at the door between 5:30 and 6 pm on the day of the Public Hearing. Please visit vancouver.ca/publichearings for important details.
Copies of the draft by-laws are available for viewing at the City Clerk’s Office in City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue, Third Floor, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. All meetings of Council are webcast live at vancouver.ca/councilvideo.